UTV Chat talk Forum Board Rhino Clones ODES UTVS HiSun Massimo Motor Bennche Qlink Linhai Supermach USTitan 700cc UTV Cheap 500cc UTV Wholesale

Thread: 2016 ODES Dominator X4 LT/Vi-Lock - Cooling Fans

Post Thanks / Like

2016 ODES Dominator X4 LT/Vi-Lock - Cooling Fans

Bought this a few months ago and only have about 300 miles on it. We had some standing water on the ranch (12" - 18" at most) that I took it thru just playing around...everything was running and working fine but I noticed that the temp had climbed to 4 bars and the cooling fans did not kick on....I am wondering if I got water on something that shouldn't have. I am letting it dry out now and will run it when I get home tonight...anyone else have a similar issue?

This 2016 hast two fans that kick in around 3 bars but they don't stay on long...I have only seen it go to 4 bars when I have been riding awhile in the Texas heat...I saw the overheating posts from a few years ago...so I think they have fixed this issue in 2016 models.

I am interested in installing a fan for the engine as it does get hot in the cab....any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you really want to know the true temps of your UTV you might want to install a set of gauges, this way you can quickly see what is going on. Here is a link to what I did.
    http://utv-chat.com/showthread.php?8...t=Vital+Gauges
    I think the over heating issues are because the factory doesn't take time to purge all the air out of the engine, I have a 2014 and first ride it got hot, after I burped the system I never had an issue and I'm actually still running the stock coolant.
    Mike

2014 Dominator 4 SE
    1979 YZ400
    2008 KTM EXC-R 530
    2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
    2006 30' Tahoe Toy Box

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike is right. Purging the air out of the cooling system is "first do.. must" with the Odes. Moving the fan from the engine bay to the radiator (now 2 on the radiator) should have solved the overheating issues of the past with the older machines. You didn't say whether yours is an 800 or a 1000cc. The thermal switch on the radiator is set to turn on the fans about 170deg/f. That is about 2 to 3 bars. If you are seeing 4 bars and no fan, then I suspect that you have a bad radiator thermal switch.
    Some of us on this site with Odes have installed oil pressure, volts and engine coolant temp. gauges on our machines. I highly recommend them. They are relatively inexpensive (<$100) insurance against catastrophic engine damage. Do a search on this site. I have listed the required parts and installation pictures for gauges.
    Good Luck with your new machine,
    Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Its a 800cc...Turns out it was the thermal switch...I was able to spend some time and troubleshoot it yesterday. Jumper the switch connector and the fans run and no Ohms reading on the switch. so I'll but a new one and replace it this week. It was just odd timing with the going through the water and them not working. I'll check into the gauge set and also about clearing out the Cat. converter.

Post Thanks / Like
    20161216_173719_1.jpg20161216_174001_1.jpg20161220_182350_1.jpg20161220_182353_1.jpg20161220_182357_1.jpg
    Update....Changed out the water temp sensor and "burped" the cooling system...it did have some air in it. went ahead and cut out the Cat converter and replaced with straight pipe...engine doesn't get above 3 bars now and fans run fine. Back seat area does not get as hot with the cat. out....Still need to wrap the pipes but that will be done this weekend....Got tired of flimsy overpriced windscreens so I made my own with 1/4" plexy, left a gap at the bottom as I always like some airflow even in cold weather.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work, yeah these engines need to be burped for sure. Once you wrap the exhaust it will also help the heat issue, I even double wrapped and used heat shield between the cab and the exhaust pipe and I have no heat in the cab now.The heat shield pieces came from under a used car.
    Front Header.jpgFront header 2nd wrap.jpgBMW Front header wrap.jpgExtention pipe 2nd wrap.jpgBMW heat sheild.jpg
    Mike

2014 Dominator 4 SE
    1979 YZ400
    2008 KTM EXC-R 530
    2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
    2006 30' Tahoe Toy Box

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the pipes wrapped...makes a big difference on the amount of heat coming into the cab....waiting on the new steel skid plates and the mods will be done...for now.
    20161224_144700.jpg20161224_144704.jpg20161224_144722.jpg20161224_144728.jpg

8. Likes ClassicRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks really good, Nice job....Did you replace the stock muffler? If you still have time you might wanna use this High Heat spray on the wrap, it sealed the wrap nice and tight for me.

Wrap materials.jpg here is a pic of the Glass Pack I installed that reduced the noise to a nice tone.
    Glass Pack2.jpg
    Last edited by ClassicRacer; 12-27-2016 at 01:30 PM.
    Mike

2014 Dominator 4 SE
    1979 YZ400
    2008 KTM EXC-R 530
    2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
    2006 30' Tahoe Toy Box

Post Thanks / Like
    Left the stock muffler on...my local auto supply was out of sealant so I may put that on next time I change the oil or have the covers off. Got the new steel plates and put them on...1/8" steel much better than plastic in my opinion....Think I am done with mods for awhile...time to just ride it...going to Hidden Falls UTV park in Marble Falls, TX in a few weeks.
    20161228_173031.jpg20161228_181410.jpg20161228_181418.jpg

11. Likes ClassicRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you get the glass pack

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mckejoha1 View Post
    Bought this a few months ago and only have about 300 miles on it. We had some standing water on the ranch (12" - 18" at most) that I took it thru just playing around...everything was running and working fine but I noticed that the temp had climbed to 4 bars and the cooling fans did not kick on....I am wondering if I got water on something that shouldn't have. I am letting it dry out now and will run it when I get home tonight...anyone else have a similar issue?

This 2016 hast two fans that kick in around 3 bars but they don't stay on long...I have only seen it go to 4 bars when I have been riding awhile in the Texas heat...I saw the overheating posts from a few years ago...so I think they have fixed this issue in 2016 models.

I am interested in installing a fan for the engine as it does get hot in the cab....any ideas?
    Hello, recommendation if burp in the system, change coolant, wrap exhaust systems in order to get cooler engine and treat wrapping with silicone spray.