UTV Chat talk Forum Board Rhino Clones ODES UTVS HiSun Massimo Motor Bennche Qlink Linhai Supermach USTitan 700cc UTV Cheap 500cc UTV Wholesale

Thread: HiSun 400 battery identity (12V32Ah what?)

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation HiSun 400 battery identity (12V32Ah what?)

Went out to the farm today with a battery charger and a forlorn hope. After three years of infrequent use and storage in an unheated machine shed, the original 12v battery dies. No clicking solenoid, instrument panel would go dead after a few vain attempts with the key.

Whipped out the battery charger, set for standard battery (maintenance free) and slow charge (charger manual says slow is correct for lawnmower batteries). Indicators for correct hookup and charging came on. We left for about an hour and a half. Charger indicator showed a green battery, supposedly charger was now on maintenance mode.

Unhooked everything, and tried to start it. Same as before.

Battery is relatively cheap, it's a lawnmower battery. Might as well just buy a new one.

The only thing the luser's manuel and maintenance manuel says is 12V32Ah. Odd, Farm and Fleet rate theirs in CCA.

What battery size does it take, or is 12V32Ah a bog-standard size like that of a 9V battery?
    Last edited by YS400; 05-06-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, after an hour of surfing, I'd say it is a U1 battery (positive terminal on left). Depending on something I saw on the internet, CCA/8=Ah so flipping things about, we get 8x32=CCA, or 265 CCA. 250 close enough. Before the correctness folks start the hue and cry, I -KNOW- that the CCA is not directly related to Ah, but you gotta start someplace.

When I pull the original, I'll find out fer sure....

Also, this HS400 uses a battery retaining plate that covers the middle third of the battery. Definately the place for a "Maintenance Free" (MF) battery..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by YS400; 05-07-2017 at 11:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was standing around in Menards, and of course the Exide catalog does not list HiSun, Menards, Massimo, or others of that ilk. On a whim, I went back towards the desk where an associate of the old retrobate works... Rounding the corner, who was checking stock but John S., who sold the old retrobate the YS400 years ago.

He checked on the computer, and to my amazement, he found the YS400 battery replacement, an Exide GT-H, 261-6501, 235CCA. Exposed cell caps. U1 battery size.

He dug under the honeycomb cardboard (about 1" thick honeycomb!) and pulled out an Exide U1SM, 261-6500, 300 CCA. U1 battery size.

I like more CCA.

It is so confusing that Menards does NOT display their lawn and garden batteries by a simple battery group and capacity. There were AGM there, and conventional, and all they had were the manufacturer's P/N on them, no clue as to size....

Snap...

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems as though it is always a challenge when shopping for a battery, unless it is for a car or a pickup you're pretty much on your own.
    Let's call it hunting. First ,look to see if the posts are in the correct position, then will it fit in the battery box, then cranking amps.
    The foreign manufacturers seem to stamp or make up their own group number on the battery.
    '14 Massimo 800
    '08 Hisun 700 (gone)
    '03 Polaris 500 sportsman

Post Thanks / Like
    Them blasted Red Chinee almost ruined it for me, but I got em. Bungee cord to the rescue!

Hisun_OEM_Battery.jpg

Dynavolt MG1232L

http://en.dynavolt.net/

DYNAVOLT Carbon Energy... but this is a lead acid battery...

Guangdong Dynavolt Power Technology Co.,Ltd.

Worthless website.

The reason Menards lists the 235CCA GT-H is because the "L" battery terminal base is below the bottom of that metal battery retaining plate... It has two gang battery caps, where the top of the battery caps is the same height as the Red Menace battery. So you have a goodly amount of vertical space between the horizontal portion of the "L" terminal and the metal battery retaining plate.

The 300CCA GT-X, or U1SM, has a taller top (same height as Red Menace battery) that is level with the base of the "L" terminal. But the horizontal base of the "L" terminal is now at the same level as the battery retaining plate... Dead short, anyone?

Hisun_OEM_Side.jpg

Now the Red Menace battery has the same dimensions as the GT-X >EXCEPT< the base of the "L" terminal is encased in epoxy, and won't short out against the metal battery retaining plate....

Also note the Red Menace battery L terminals are parallel to the long side, while the Exide battery L terminals are at a 45 degree angle to the long side. I had no problem as there was plenty of cable to reach the L terminals.

After I had snugged up the battery bolts (Exide battery .438 holes in terminal, Red Menace .236 / 6mm bolt...) and was ready to put the battery retaining plate back on, I noticed the front end of the plate was maybe 3/16ths of an inch from the metal base of the "L" terminals. Hell no!

After some uncharitable thoughs about the Red Menace, I stode over to the car and grabbed a hold of destiny! Well, a bungee cord. I ran one end through the cut-outs on the outerside of the battery well, then ran the ends across the top of the battery and under the cross-brace next to the air intake.

Works like a charm. I don't know if this set-up would work for extreme off-roaders, but for the way the old retrobate drives, it's more than sufficient.
    Last edited by YS400; 05-09-2017 at 06:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Качественная

This post requires you to click the Thanks button to read this content. This post requires you to click the Likes button to read this content. This post requires you to click the Dislikes button to read this content.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • This post requires you to click the Thanks button to see Attachments.
    • This post requires you to click the Likes button to see Attachments.
    • This post requires you to click the Dislikes button to see Attachments.
    Что вданныймомент известно продвижение сайтов