UTV Chat talk Forum Board Rhino Clones ODES UTVS HiSun Massimo Motor Bennche Qlink Linhai Supermach USTitan 700cc UTV Cheap 500cc UTV Wholesale

Thread: Msu 500 starting problem

Post Thanks / Like

Msu 500 starting problem

My 2013 500 will only start if I floor the gas pedal and then once it starts I have to pump the gas until it warms up a little it sounds horrible until it warms up.(around 20 seconds)and then it will stay running. The exhaust smells like raw gas for a little while. The throttle body has been changed. Someone suggested the mass air flow sensor could be the problem ( is that the MAP). It has been to 2 different shops with it not being fixed. I haven't been able to ride it since last fall.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Last edited by Rwpjtk; 09-08-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wish I could help but mine is doing about the same thing, starts ok cold but not so good hot, takes pumping of gas pedal it also cuts out intermittently after warms up, will run just fine for a while then acts up, kinda like water in gas but that isn't the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    I called Greg at motorycycledoctor.com, he immediately diagnosed my problem, "you need to adjust the valves" primarily the intake valve should have at least .004 to .006 This completely cured the problem, runs and starts like it should, hot or cold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by klm3030 View Post
    I called Greg at motorycycledoctor.com, he immediately diagnosed my problem, "you need to adjust the valves" primarily the intake valve should have at least .004 to .006 This completely cured the problem, runs and starts like it should, hot or cold.
    believe it or not the exhaust valves are the most important. That were u will gain the most HP/performance. Set the slightly loose. Intake should be snug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Intake should be .004 to .006, not snug.

Exhaust dammed near impossible to check due to a welded crossbar in the way, sorry engineering.