UTV Chat talk Forum Board Rhino Clones ODES UTVS HiSun Massimo Motor Bennche Qlink Linhai Supermach USTitan 700cc UTV Cheap 500cc UTV Wholesale

Thread: Line lock for park brake?

Post Thanks / Like

Line lock for park brake?

Anyone tried using a line lock for the park brake. I'm kind of let down with the cable pull park brake. I have tried looking for a hydraulic kit and then thought that a line lock on the front and back would be pretty good. I'm even thinking of dual calipers on the rear. What do you think?
    2011 Hisun 700 utv, black

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys know what a line lock is, right? For those that don't, it's a valve in the brake line. Just press the brake pedal and then flip a switch to engage the valve and trap the brake fluid so that the front, rear, or both brakes are locked.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would think you could use one for a car , and then install the cool shifter button to activate it
    231 Motorsports LLC. (812)482-3606 Parts for your atv , no matter what brand it is ! Even if you can't pronounce it! Also the areas only Argo amphibious atv dealer

Post Thanks / Like
    I have install quite a few of these over the year and was never happy with the results. They always seem to leak down. A properly adjusted parking brake is much better
    My greatest fear is when I die my wife will sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been looking at manual and electric. I guess I can't find the sweet spot with the park brake, 'cause mine sucks. I've tried everything. I'm pretty sure I am going to try this if I can't find something else. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm really just looking for something that will hold on a hill, when needed, and not throw my back out from trying to pull the park brake hard enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use my tipping skidoo trailer to haul mine around, I tip the trailer drive up set the parking brake and get out and fold the trailer down. It doesn't move an inch once the brake is set
    My greatest fear is when I die my wife will sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife and I had to stop on a pretty steep mountain side, rocky, trail at windrock offroad last year. I set the brake, we got out, then as we were walking up to help some people, I heard the little truck headed toward the cliff . I ran like hell and caught up with it just before it went over. I haven't been on another big ride since, but vowed that I would have something better for the next one. I just ordered 2 electric line locks from summit. I'll let you guys know how it does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by civlized View Post
    My wife and I had to stop on a pretty steep mountain side, rocky, trail at windrock offroad last year. I set the brake, we got out, then as we were walking up to help some people, I heard the little truck headed toward the cliff . I ran like hell and caught up with it just before it went over. I haven't been on another big ride since, but vowed that I would have something better for the next one. I just ordered 2 electric line locks from summit. I'll let you guys know how it does.
    Sounds like you obverted a major mishap!
    It will be nice to know how it goes with them!

Pro-Tech Your Powersports of the north. Sales, Service, & Parts. 763-442-9245 www.erpowersports.com Elk River Powersports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro-Tech View Post
    Sounds like you obverted a major mishap!
    It will be nice to know how it goes with them!
    Yes we did. It was certainly a pucker moment! If I would have had the doors installed, I would not have made it.

About 5 minutes after hitting the order button for the line locks, I thought about taking the parking brake off and changing it to a rod that inserts through a disk with holes drilled in it. Oh well, I guess that can be the backup plan.
    Last edited by civlized; 04-17-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    the electric line locks are for drag racing and not ment to be on longer than a minute or two. You will burn out the solinoid in if used for an extended period! The over the cliff you go LOL

11. Likes mechanic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You might try a brake lock from Napa . Part # NAPA 57515 This Lock requires 12 volts to activate the Brake lock, the brake peddle is pressed and the brakes are locked. Then the power can be removed and the brakes will stay locked until the Brake Peddle is pressed again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have received the locks from summit, and Slayr you are right. I didn't see it anywhere in the description that it would hold for only a couple of minutes, but the paperwork with the valve said it. I'm kind of torn now. I have come up with an alternative style parking brake, so I might do that. However, I have already ordered and received two 12v line locks. I will probably try them in the yard. I have a big hill to try them on.

Post Thanks / Like
    wyodlr, thanks for the info. If I install these and like the function and not the lenght of time they hold, I can try the ones from NAPA.

Second thought. I will have to find out if they still sell them. I tried to order the line locks I have from NAPA and they don't sell any, according to the guys in two stores, because of liability issues. The website lists them, but the instore computer doesn't list any.
    Last edited by civlized; 04-19-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    there use to be a mechanical hydralic parking brake under the name Micro Lock they that too

Respected Member kelleymotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by civlized View Post
    wyodlr, thanks for the info. If I install these and like the function and not the lenght of time they hold, I can try the ones from NAPA.

Second thought. I will have to find out if they still sell them. I tried to order the line locks I have from NAPA and they don't sell any, according to the guys in two stores, because of liability issues. The website lists them, but the instore computer doesn't list any.
    whats the part # you wanted

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wyodlr View Post
    You might try a brake lock from Napa . Part # NAPA 57515
    Above is the one I would be interested in and

This is the one I tried to order:Roll / Control Line Lock Kit
    Part Number: BK 3354275

Product Line: Balkamp
    Last edited by civlized; 04-19-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the line locks I ended up with. I have to try them. Will report later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    fyi, i will ask my brother but it says 2 DCs have the kit you were looking for. find out what the deal is tomorrow. shouldn't be a problems getting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kelleymotorsports View Post
    fyi, i will ask my brother but it says 2 DCs have the kit you were looking for. find out what the deal is tomorrow. shouldn't be a problems getting it.
    Cool. If you can get the 57515, let me know and I'll order through you if I can. I don't know what the deal was with my local stores. Maybe they were just not interested. Kind of strange. They are normally very good. I'm going to install what I have and park it on the hill in my back yard with a strap tied to a tree or something and just let it sit there until something gives. I only paid $40 each for the locks, so I won't cry if they smoke.

Post Thanks / Like
    it would be 200 plus shipping. looks like its made by Hurst. take about 3 days to get to him and then i could get it out. just let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kelleymotorsports View Post
    it would be 200 plus shipping. looks like its made by Hurst. take about 3 days to get to him and then i could get it out. just let me know.
    Thanks so much. I will try out what I have and get back with you. I should be able let you know by next week.
    Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    no prob, i doubt they will sell fast

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, this was a failure. I had hoses made and everything. When it neared the end, the factory piece(hose to rear brakes from the master cylinder) would not seal into the line lock. It is a fairly long bolt with crush washers on it. The bolt is too long to allow the washers to crush and I couldn't make myself cut the bolt. I don't know what's next. I guess research to find what parts I need.
    Last edited by civlized; 04-22-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Adam, seeing as how you have access to NAPA and these units, if you could figure out what I need I'll buy it from you. Most of the brake parts that I have found are npt threads and the factory unit is metric threads. I don't know what to do other than change out all of the brake lines, and I'm not going that far.

Post Thanks / Like
    give me a picture (hand drawn or real) of what you want and thread size, we can try to make something work

Post Thanks / Like
    I need to adapt the factory banjo fitting to 1/8 npt. I can get some pics this afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like
    direct at the master cylinder correct? i should have some banjo bolts laying around to get thread specs off of. so you will no longer be using a banjo and now just a direct line with 1/8" npt thread if i'm understanding you correctly

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll take some pics this afternoon. I'll confuse myself if I think about it too much.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope I can explain this. I need to adapt the banjo fittings on the master cylinder to the line lock. I have a hose to go from the line lock to the master cylinder, but can't connect the actual brake line from the banjo fitting to the lock. The line lock hole is 1/8npt and not very deep. The factory bolt with the banjo fitting is metric thread, I guess, but fits pretty good inside the brass part of the line lock. The problem is that the bolt bottoms out before it pinches the crush washers. I know I could shorten the bolt, but I can't make myself do it. As the bolt got deeper into the brass, I think it kind of re-threaded it near the bottom. I don't know if it will be ok or not. I could never get a good enough seal to test with the long bolt. Maybe, if you could just source some of these banjo bolts, I would feel safer hacking on extras. I am up for any ideas or solutions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea with the line lock. We ride all mountains here too and the park brake is way to sketchy to use.. If it lets go, there goes all your riding buddies behind u.. Lol

Funny a buddy and i were just talking about this brake lock thing...looks like it will work.

Post Thanks / Like
    civlized, i believe i have an extra few banjo bolts laying around, pm me your info and i will just send you one tomorrow that you can cut down. this would be the easiest and fastest.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are the man! PM sent.

Post Thanks / Like
    lets make sure they work first lol!

Post Thanks / Like

продать ягоды

This post requires you to click the Thanks button to read this content. This post requires you to click the Likes button to read this content. This post requires you to click the Dislikes button to read this content.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • This post requires you to click the Thanks button to see Attachments.
    • This post requires you to click the Likes button to see Attachments.
    • This post requires you to click the Dislikes button to see Attachments.

Post Thanks / Like

покупка грибо

This post requires you to click the Thanks button to read this content. This post requires you to click the Likes button to read this content. This post requires you to click the Dislikes button to read this content.

Post Thanks / Like

ягоды опт све&

Post Thanks / Like

продать грибы