UTV Chat talk Forum Board Rhino Clones ODES UTVS HiSun Massimo Motor Bennche Qlink Linhai Supermach USTitan 700cc UTV Cheap 500cc UTV Wholesale

Thread: SuperMach 800 sputters and dies....

Post Thanks / Like

SuperMach 800 sputters and dies....

After a couple of miles it sputters and dies and you have to let it sit for 5 minutes then it will start and go another mile and do it again. Have adjusted the valves, changed plugs, etc - was wondering if it might be fuel pump or gas tank venting - this stuff is hard to diagnose. Anyone else had this problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like the crank position sensor to me. It will run till it gets hot then die ,when it cools off it will run again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wyodlr is most likely correct.
    Try this (posted by a memeber after many hours of work!)

Well after researching all on the web, I listed what problem I was having, and found one forum site talking about cars that were having the same problem I was having. and most of the responses came back to one piece of electrical equipment. "CRANK CASE SENSOR" and the one test you could do to see if it was the crank case sensor was bad, was to: after the motor dies pour "COLD WATER" on the sensor. (REAL HIGH TECH HMMMM) compared to that scope you have.

Well I went and cranked the motor up. and as usuall after about 12 minutes it died, I tried to restart and nothing. I then poured A little cup of "COLD WATER" on the sensor and guess what? IT CRANKED UP.

So to make sure it was not just a fluke, I let the motor run, and then in about 10 minutes it dies. again I tried to restart, but nothing, I again poured a little cup of "COLD WATER" on the sensor, and guess what again. IT CRANKED RIGHT UP.

Pro-Tech Your Powersports of the north. Sales, Service, & Parts. 763-442-9245 www.erpowersports.com Elk River Powersports

Post Thanks / Like
    My problem has been finding a crank position sensor in stock. I've ordered a couple but have not gotten them yet. If anyone finds them in stock let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can access the sensor/connector and have an electrical meter put it on the AC volts scale
    and crank the engine over, there should be a reading if the sensor is working

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gordy View Post
    If you can access the sensor/connector and have an electrical meter put it on the AC volts scale
    and crank the engine over, there should be a reading if the sensor is working

No need for a meter! When the engine dies just cool it with the water and it will start right back up without having to wait the 5 or so minutes.

That shows it is the sensor.

Pro-Tech Your Powersports of the north. Sales, Service, & Parts. 763-442-9245 www.erpowersports.com Elk River Powersports

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone give me a hint where the crankcase sensor is located on the left or right side and what it looks like or maybe a picture

Thanx

Post Thanks / Like
    It is located on the leftside on the cover for the stator.FIG8.jpg it is item # 7 in this diag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanx buddy I thought that was probably it

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there anyway to bypass that sensor or cut it out of the loop - I had to do the water squirt thing 10 times this weekend - pain in the ass

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineRifle View Post
    Is there anyway to bypass that sensor or cut it out of the loop - I had to do the water squirt thing 10 times this weekend - pain in the ass
    No way to bypass because that is what tells the ECU what position the crank is in for the ignition and fuel injection.
    You need to replace it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can it be moved to the firewall or somewhere on the frame so the heat is not so bad or does it have to be in that position

Respected Member kelleymotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    no it needs to be pointed directly at the crank/flywheel. this is what tells it to spark by the revolution of the crank. think of it the other way around, how can you keep heat away from it. a shield? header wrap? things like that.
    http://shop.kelleymotorsports.com/im...wres_small.jpg
    Kelley Motorsports LLC • 563-920-3412 • sales@kelleymotorsports.com
    Sales, Parts, and Service • www.kelleymotorsports.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wyodlr View Post
    My problem has been finding a crank position sensor in stock. I've ordered a couple but have not gotten them yet. If anyone finds them in stock let me know.

Try Astro Motorsports here in Canada...they have awsome stock on parts usually..Ask for Dirk...1-604-952-0820

Post Thanks / Like

SuperMach 800 sputters and

This post requires you to click the Thanks button to read this content. This post requires you to click the Likes button to read this content. This post requires you to click the Dislikes button to read this content.