UTV Chat talk Forum Board Rhino Clones ODES UTVS HiSun Massimo Motor Bennche Qlink Linhai Supermach USTitan 700cc UTV Cheap 500cc UTV Wholesale

Thread: 800cc hisun (supermach) potential problem

Respected Member kelleymotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

800cc hisun (supermach) potential problem

while working on the front end of the 800 utv we removed the drive shaft and noticed a potential problem that may impact you after use of your machine.

i have attached a picture showing you the yoke on the front side of the motor (where the back of the front drive shaft would connect). the output shaft sticks out past the yoke and has nearly a 1/4" of play forward and backwards and also has slop up and down. this play in the yoke could be enough to cause binding pressure on the transmission output shaft or other problems.

to fix the problem is a hassle, you can either remove the pin through the drive shaft near the front, or you can remove the u-joint at the back. if you choose to remove the u-joint at the back, keep in mind it has internal c-clips on the caps that must be removed before the caps will come off. after the drive shaft is removed, remove the bolt from the yoke, leaving the yoke on, put a spacer (approx. 1/4" will work) and then reinstall your bolt and drive shaft. remember to loctite your bolt!

i will post more pictures of what is going on when i remove the front diff again in the next few days to send it in to us titan
    Kelley Motorsports LLC 563-920-3412 sales@kelleymotorsports.com
    Sales, Parts, and Service www.kelleymotorsports.com

Chan Am

Re: 800cc hisun (supermach) potential problem

Is it possible that this 1/4 inch of play was causing your 4wd to go in and out?

Post Thanks / Like

no, and i did fix this before i put the front diff back in. this could potentially tear bearings out with all the extra play in there.

shore

Are you saying the yoke sits on the shaft loosely? Like it slides back and forth on the splines?

we need to make a thread with all these fixes right up top.

fwiw, from day one I have noticed some slop in the driveline. Noise on and off the gas when switching F to R. Pretty typical of shaft drive atv's with belt drives. I've always just made sure not to switch from F to R and slap the gas.

Post Thanks / Like

will up load a hand drawn illustration of what i am talking about. not the best but see the problem?

shore

ok, so it has fore and aft slop. Vertical is tight? I'd pull my under pan off but it's tucked away right now.

What I'm thinking is there should be no real fore or aft force. Nothing but the gravity of the driveshaft is really moving it fore and aft. The engine does not move nor does the diff.

It still looks to need a shim just for good measure. Hell, it might take up the clunk sound. I wonder if forcing a c-clip in there would be easier for everyone.

I've yet to pull a u-joint on these...are they typical snap-ring plier type to get the cap off?

shore

Give me a break down on the fluids you are using.

Front Diff gets Polaris Demand Drive Plus if you can find it. You can also use Synthetic ATF fluid.

Engine gets 10w-30 for break-in. I will switch to Mobil 1 15w-50 for summer at next oil change. I believe these take the Can-Am cartridge filter. Not sure yet.

Transmission gets GL5 synthetic. The manual calls for engine oil as it is a wet-clutch. It is not a wet clutch and takes GL5 75w-90 GL5.

The rear end calls for gl4, good luck finding that. The above GL5 is better. GL4 is only better for yellow metal transmissions i.e. manuals that have synchro's.

Post Thanks / Like

its just a half moon clip, and it would be hard to get with snap ring pliers because of the area. just use a flat screw driver is all i did to remove and put back on.

there is play in all directions of the yoke, which in turn would let the drive shaft move how it wanted to. if vertical was tight i wouldn't see it as much of a problem but just imagine how fast it is spinning and it has potential to flop up and down.

shore

Another area you need to look at.

The transmission cooler hoses. They run over a sharp bolt edge as they enter the transmission. Adjust or cover them. I simply wrapped hose around them. They would surely get worn and leak out fluid.

Post Thanks / Like

front diff - amsoil atf low viscosity ATF synthetic
    engine - amsoil 0w-40 4-stroke synthetic
    transmission - 75w-90 synthetic w/ limited slip
    rear diff - again 75w-90 synthetic w/ limited slip

oil filter- k&n kn-152 or napa # for this is 3354830

shore

Quote Originally Posted by kelleymotorsports
    its just a half moon clip, and it would be hard to get with snap ring pliers because of the area. just use a flat screw driver is all i did to remove and put back on.

there is play in all directions of the yoke, which in turn would let the drive shaft move how it wanted to. if vertical was tight i wouldn't see it as much of a problem but just imagine how fast it is spinning and it has potential to flop up and down.

Well then, that needs to be shimmed up for sure. Once you shimmed it up did all the play go away? The vertical movement is what concerns me the most.

I'll pull mine out tomorrow and lift it up and look at it. I wonder if you can get to it better from top of bottom? Taking that top tunnel off is easy. Then again, so is the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

i would to it from the bottom so you can remove the c-clips easier.

Post Thanks / Like

couldn't tell you if shimming it helped, still have the horrible clunking noise in the front diff.

shore

Lots of talk about the polaris front cage breaking. there is a metal cage upgrade and a cheaper alternative to the $330 polaris unit. John Deere makes a 2 part kit for $90.
    Here some info I got.
    From the looks of it, the front diff you have is identical to the Polaris 700/800 Hilliard style. That being said, if you have problems with the cage, there are metal replacement parts as well as cheaper cross-references available. I'm fairly positive it is the same part, or at least is comparable.

Here is the appropriate thread for the John Deere Cage replacement (a cheaper alternative) :
    http://forum.highlifter.com/john-dee...-m1942879.aspx

the part numbers are :
    Roller Kit-MIA 10666- Identical Match
    Cage Kit-MIA10667(Slightly longer, black plastic cage, springs and wear plate)
    Total for the 2 kits with tax $91.95. Each kit took approx 2-3 days to come in. Sure beats $330 + shipping from Polaris.

Any questions, just head over to the Polaris forum.

This may be old news to you, if so, I apologize for the wasted time. If not, hope it helps, and I hope that 800 treats you well.
    http://forum.highlifter.com/john-dee...-m1942879.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

it would be greatly appreciated if someone could get a length on the john deere cage and i can check the one in the 800. i know the front in the rzr that they keep breaking is different length.

shore

I'd happy if you explained how you got this u-joint out of the yoke...apparently, it won't come out with 3 of the 4 caps removed.

Post Thanks / Like

remove the 2 clips on the u-joint caps for the yoke only. after removing the two clips, tap the cap in from one side about 1/4" or less until you can remove the cap on the opposite side, then tap the side with the cap gone to push the other cap out a bit and there you have it the rest of the u-joint will stay in the drive shaft.

shore

See, that's it. My u-joint won't clear the yoke from the engine.

The engine side caps are out, yet the u-joint won't come out. One side comes out but the other doesn't clear it to let free.

This is a PITA for a shim.

shore

I sure hope you're being able to to remove that u-joint is not because you had the driveshaft loose up front from pulling the front diff.

Post Thanks / Like

you took the caps that are in the yoke out correct?

shore

yes. The u-joint will not clear the yoke. 1 u-joint shaft comes clear and the other is stuck in the hole.

This is completely screwing my u-joint. I can't count the number of times I've had to reset the rollers. I can't even get it to set all four caps at once. That shaft has a lot of pressure on it. You get one cap in and it spits the other way.

Can't get it off and can't get it back together at this point..

Post Thanks / Like

was your yoke loose even?

shore

Little late for that, yes it has some play all around.

was your front diff out when you did this?

shore

I got the u-joint out. All 4 caps have to come out.

Now I'm really not liking this bolt in the shaft holding the yoke on.

Standard rotation correct? It would suck if this is reverse threaded.

shore

Ok, yoke off. That bolt is tight.

All my threads and splines look new. There are 2 issues with this slack/slop. There is slight play in the splines. They should be packed with grease for one thing. That is one area. The other is the end of the output shaft is not machined down enough. You can feel it sit slightly out past base of the yoke. Small shim and should be good.

Not much you can do about the splines other than greasing them up to keep the dirt from getting in there and chewing away with all that play.

Certainly, put loctite on this guy.

Post Thanks / Like

obviously an area for concern on these machines and is confirmed that yours is that same way. should really keep a tally of all this and then we will put one post with all the things to check or fix when getting your new 800 but i think we should keep looking for more things at this point.

shore

Now that I look at it more....a shim to fit the outer race of the yoke is going to be weak.

2 choices.

1..grind down the output shaft a little.

2..grind out the middle portion of the factory washer so it sits flush.

Post Thanks / Like

shaft is going to be hard, and you will still need to have a washer to put on. i will show you what i mean in a min.

Post Thanks / Like

i show the shim as two pieces but should rather be similar to a pipe, the only reason i show it to you like this is so you can see that you still need that washer to push on the shim you put in there. your bolt head is not large enough to touch the shim so save your washer and find a piece of pipe and cut it at 1/4" for the shim and reuse the washer and bolt.

see what i'm saying?

Post Thanks / Like

wont let me add a picture for some reason, when i go to post it goes to a white page but with no picture works fine...

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

fix

Post Thanks / Like

kelleymotorsport, so on this driveshaft issue, basically i just need to place a 1/4" washer behind the existing washer? Is that correct? sorry, if I sound stupid ???, i'm just not very mechanically inclined.

Post Thanks / Like

My Rhino had this same problem, only it was a poorly aligned rear diff, that in turn snapped the cross brace that supported it, gone unnoticed besides clunking all the time, wore the splines in a rounded pattern. That in turn wore the splines more and more until no more splines, and hence no more go. Driveshaft and yoke both had to be replaced

Post Thanks / Like

so putting that 1/4 washer takes the vibration out of the 800s
    BottomBoyz

Post Thanks / Like

no, most front drive shafts are out of balance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guys I would like to talk about the HS800 UTV slop in the front yoke. I removed it and don't think a shim is the answer. It seems the yoke can slide back and forth on the shaft account there is no real collar on the shaft for the yoke to mate up to. If you push it all the way in you risk damaging the seal. I think a easy solution to the problem would be a yoke with an enclosed front (LIKE welding the washer in place) this way it could not slide in and damage the seal but would tighten up on the shaft when the bolt is tightened.
    Your Thought?
    RD

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this in the area in the front where the pin goes through the shaft that you are talking about?

Pro-Tech Your Powersports of the north. Sales, Service, & Parts. 763-442-9245 www.erpowersports.com Elk River Powersports

Post Thanks / Like
    no its on the motor side. RD, our shaft was not splined all the way back to the motor. the yoke can only go so far back on the splines and then bottom out. it was a good distance away from even coming close to the seal. is your different? i'd like to see a picture or video if you could.

Post Thanks / Like
    No the Yoke that is bolted on the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes exactly, the back side of the front drive shaft. can you take a picture of the yoke touching the seal?

Post Thanks / Like
    I measured the lenth of the shaft 1.35" and then the yoke,put the yoke on the shaft and I have .1" clearance between the seal and the yoke when it is bottomed out, I made a small shim and thighened it on. It does not seem to of moved in anymore. So if all is correct I should have .1" clearance between the seal and yoke. Is there any problem wedging it on this way?

Post Thanks / Like
    if your yoke isn't touching the seal i see no harm.