UTV Chat talk Forum Board Rhino Clones ODES UTVS HiSun Massimo Motor Bennche Qlink Linhai Supermach USTitan 700cc UTV Cheap 500cc UTV Wholesale

Thread: Charging issues on a 2008 500 supermach

Post Thanks / Like

Charging issues on a 2008 500 supermach

Ok bare with me here I am new to the site. I have a 2008 500 supermach and for the last 2 years have had trouble keeping batteries in it... It goes through them left and right and I have looked for bad wires and to no avail.
    So the thing will be running fine and then the dash lighting goes and about half of the other electrics with it, then as soon as you let off the gas it dies. And then you have to get it jumped and then sometimes that doesnt work and you have to leave it until the next day. I am lost and all my buddies who ride and work on there own atv's and utv's cant figure it out either.

Oh it would be nice to know what all the relays are for inside the battery box..
    Thanks Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to test the voltage at the regulator , Input should be battery voltage , running you should see near 14 volts on the output.
    231 Motorsports LLC. (812)482-3606 Parts for your atv , no matter what brand it is ! Even if you can't pronounce it! Also the areas only Argo amphibious atv dealer

Post Thanks / Like
    How would I check it.. and does anyone no what the relays are for in the battery box.... Thanks for your help....

Post Thanks / Like
    You will need to check the voltage at the plug with a volt meter. The relays in the battery box are not going to effect charging.
    231 Motorsports LLC. (812)482-3606 Parts for your atv , no matter what brand it is ! Even if you can't pronounce it! Also the areas only Argo amphibious atv dealer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 231 Motorsports View Post
    You will need to check the voltage at the plug with a volt meter. The relays in the battery box are not going to effect charging.
    Man I hate to keep bothering you but is it the round white plug that comes out of the motor if so I couldnt get no reading..... the battery when dead was 7 volts now up to 12... So if you could tell me how to check it please.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the 3 wire plug.
    Disconnect from tyhe motor side and check it with an ohmeter, leave the pos. lead of the ohmeter on the top plugin and check the others, you should get .32-.43 ohms.
    the stators don't go bad on these too often, but ya never know.If those readings check out, you may have a faulty battery or faulty ground or bad rectifier-regulater.
    Check the engine to battery ground and on these you probaly have a lil pigtail on the neg. cable coming off the battery, get some #10 or 12 wire and run a wire from it to frame ground. Also check the connector at the regulator. It's on the frame rail.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was actually talking about reading the voltage from the regulator plug. The regulator is on the firewall near the steering shaft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4getful2 View Post
    Yes, the 3 wire plug.
    Disconnect from tyhe motor side and check it with an ohmeter, leave the pos. lead of the ohmeter on the top plugin and check the others, you should get .32-.43 ohms.
    the stators don't go bad on these too often, but ya never know.If those readings check out, you may have a faulty battery or faulty ground or bad rectifier-regulater.
    Check the engine to battery ground and on these you probaly have a lil pigtail on the neg. cable coming off the battery, get some #10 or 12 wire and run a wire from it to frame ground. Also check the connector at the regulator. It's on the frame rail.
    I found the regulator and the plug coming off of it and then behind it wire tied together is like 6 or 7 plugs, so one of those plugs into the regulator and i check it... 3 large white wire i would say since thats what comes out of the motor... And I check it in ohms and not volts? and I had 7 volts at the battery not running and when running it was like 12 something. but it would only run for how ever long i left the cables on it. so if the unit was say running for 10 mins while still hooked to jumper cables and when I took the jumper cables off it would only run close to 10 mins before it would die.... and again thanks for all the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    The plug I want you to test is the one that plugs into the bottom of the regulator. If you unplug it with the engine off , you should read battery voltage on the output wires of the plug. If you start the engine you should see AC voltage at the input wires around 45 volts. It sounds like you have a bad regulator that is burning up batteries. This test will give us a place to start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 231 Motorsports View Post
    The plug I want you to test is the one that plugs into the bottom of the regulator. If you unplug it with the engine off , you should read battery voltage on the output wires of the plug. If you start the engine you should see AC voltage at the input wires around 45 volts. It sounds like you have a bad regulator that is burning up batteries. This test will give us a place to start.
    OK not had a chance today to test it but if it is the regulator, where is a good cheap place i could buy one.

Respected Member kelleymotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    if you need one, brent (231) or myself can help you.
    Kelley Motorsports LLC 563-920-3412 sales@kelleymotorsports.com
    Sales, Parts, and Service www.kelleymotorsports.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kelleymotorsports View Post
    if you need one, brent (231) or myself can help you.
    While checking the relay I noticed a large amount of tape in one area just about 1 inch from the plug... and when I took the tape off found a black looking diode that was connected to the red and black wire... Could someone tell what its for... and I wish I could get a copy of the wiring diagram for this machine.. Thanks.

20140228_124203_zps8f43a4e1.jpg

Respected Member kelleymotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    follow the link below and download any manuals you want free. be sure even if your unit isn't a 2013 to download this (4th on the list of manuals) as well because the last pages have the wiring diagram.

http://shop.kelleymotorsports.com/in...products_id=91

Kelley Motorsports LLC 563-920-3412 sales@kelleymotorsports.com
    Sales, Parts, and Service www.kelleymotorsports.com