UTV Chat talk Forum Board Rhino Clones ODES UTVS HiSun Massimo Motor Bennche Qlink Linhai Supermach USTitan 700cc UTV Cheap 500cc UTV Wholesale

Thread: Overheating??

Post Thanks / Like

Overheating??

So I was playing around with the plow today, really the first time since I got my FR700, and the engine temp light came on?
    I usually plow on low gear, but I've got a relatively short drive way. Should the fan be on if the engine temp light is on? One would think so. Could this be a water pump issue?
    The antifreeze is the only original fluid in the bike as Roberts sport center in Malone said that it's been tested and is good enough.
    Fan is not running, radiator is pretty hot, but not boiling over. Overflow for antifreeze is still cold, maybe it's low on fluid?
    What you guys think? I only ran the thing for about an hour and then shut it down before I created further issue.
    <"({})><

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for kicks, pull the seats and the center cover to access the engine. On the side of the cylinder head there is the thermostat housing (where a coolant hose goes). There will be a bolt with an 8mm head on the thermostat housing with a copper crush washer under it. Pull that out and make sure the coolant is moving past it. I had a 500 that got air-bound in that area and wouldn't circulate coolant. I would doubt that is your problem if you have never had an overheating issue as of yet, but its a good place to start. Obviously check your coolant level in the radiator as well to make sure its up.

I don't care what they told you at Roberts, I would be draining that coolant and refilling it with something from the auto parts. Grab a gallon of 50/50 precut coolant of your choice and change it.

From there... I would say make sure your fan is functional and coming on when it should. Locate the fan temp switch on the radiator and unplug it. Jump the 2 wires in the harness by plugging a paperclip or whatever you have into it. The fan should come on (with the key on) after you jump the wires. That will tell you if your fan is good. If the fan comes on after you jump the wires, but it won't come on with the engine piping hot, you could have a bad temp switch.
    Moore Power Sports, LLC
    Malone, NY 12953
    (518) 483-3330
    www.moorepowersports.com
    Facebook link - www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Moo...s/343271652576

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, great info! Talked to Roberts and they think it may be a faulty temp sensor, as the bike never really overheated, and the fan never turned on?? I'll start by replacing this sensor when I get it, and I'll check the thermostat for circulation. I'm due for the first full fluid change after my break-in, so il change the antifreeze at that time. Thanks again! So far Roberts has been good, but they're just too far away for me to bring the bike in for every little issue, another great benefit of this site!
    <"({})><

Post Thanks / Like
    Check the fan harness plug-in also. Its located by the right upper shock mount. Almost every other one we assemble isnt properly plugged together. Its the 2 pin connector pink and blue I believe. Just follow the wires back from the fan motor itself it looks like its plugged together but its not.

http://rhinoclones.com/banners/Redline2.gif
    Redline Sport and Marine Inc.
    Sales, Parts, and Service-All Makes and Models
    906-563-1450 Norway MI 715-696-6789 Spread Eagle WI redline.motorsports@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I run " engine ice" coolant in my 800 Hisun. It's alot better than water wetter etc..
    Never have overheated yet with 1000 miles of hard mountain riding.
    Just make sure you get ALL the old coolant out of the system.

Post Thanks / Like
    So she overheated today... Big time. I talked to the dealer who told me that it was probably a faulty sensor for the temp light, which I now think is not the case. When it overheated, smoke and all, the fan still wasn't running.
    After trouble shooting noticed a few things: I sent power directly to the fan utilizing the plug located next to the radiator, fan works ok.
    I checked continuinity on the radiator sensor .. When the engines cool, sensor's open, when the engines hot, sensors closed. This seems like its the way it should be as the sensor would send power to the fan relay.....
    Which would be the next problem.... Tried like hell to locate the fan relay w/no luck. Anyone know for sure which one it is, or better yet have a wiring schematic I can check out.
    Roberts said they would check it out, but they're more than an hour away and if it's something simple, I'd rather save the drive, chances are I'll need a relay (possibly) anyways..
    Whatcha think?!
    <"({})><

Post Thanks / Like
    9 out of 10 times is the two pin plug in for the fan-when you plug together the pins bend over and dont make a connection. There is also a wire connector located inside the wiring harness that can come unplugged-its in the main large harness under battery box-its down low near lower frame tube-you have to remove wire loom-I believe its the pink wire for the fan. Before you dig into that though unplug sensor on radiator-connect pins together with a paper clip(plug side) then unplug fan connector and see if you have power on the pink(with key on). If you do its in that coupler. If you dont its that wire connector inside wiring harness or its the relay itself. I would bet its in the wiring harness because they tie strap and run that part of the harness so tight it unplugs itself inside. I dont know why they put a butt connector inside a wiring harness-its just asking for trouble-we usually remove the connector and hard wire it. Hope this helps

906-563-1450 Norway MI 715-696-6789 Spread Eagle WI redline.motorsports@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    So,
    I checked the plug for fan, was a little loose, but I think making contact.
    I sent 12v to the fan, spins right up.
    Removed the temp sensor plug on radiator and checked continuity; once the engine warmed up and the thermostat send hot fluid to the radiator the sensor went from normally opened to closed (Think that should start the fan right?? Wrong).
    I jumped the radiator sensor, no fan.
    I'm thinking relay now.. Although after many failed attempts I can’t find the relay for the fan. Somewhere’s the wire colors change (maybe at the hidden connector your talking about?)
    Called Qlink directly today, but techs weren't there. I need a wiring diagram.
    Dealer said that the relays are all the same and I can just try swapping other ones around to see if the fan turns on??
    <"({})><

Post Thanks / Like
    If you look at the wire diagram for the electrial I see no relay on the fan. Just a fuse. Unless I am not seeing it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pro-Tech; 01-16-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Pro-Tech Your Powersports of the north. Sales, Service, & Parts. 763-442-9245 www.erpowersports.com Elk River Powersports

Post Thanks / Like
    That's awesome.. can you send that again, but a little wider zoom? I'd like to see the key switch area as well as the high temp idiot light wiring. My dealer seems to think the idiot light sensor sends power to the radiator sensor??? Thanks though, this makes a lot of sense!
    <"({})><

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshAxl View Post
    That's awesome.. can you send that again, but a little wider zoom? I'd like to see the key switch area as well as the high temp idiot light wiring. My dealer seems to think the idiot light sensor sends power to the radiator sensor??? Thanks though, this makes a lot of sense!

PM Me your email address and I will send you the file so you can read it better.

Pro-Tech Your Powersports of the north. Sales, Service, & Parts. 763-442-9245 www.erpowersports.com Elk River Powersports

Post Thanks / Like
    The idiot light has nothing to do with the fan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Josh did you get the diagram I sent you?
    On the diagram It looks like there is a fuseable link in the line it self. Read the post #7 from Redline41 the butt connector he is talking about is most likely the fuseable link.
    You have everything you need now to get you back up and running!
    Get Ur Done!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya I got it, thanks again. I plan on working on it Tomm. My dealer sent me the sensor that goes on the motor, it only has one (black) wire comming from it. He believes this to be the problem. Any ideas on the best was to locate that in-line plug in the loom? I can't imagine it's too much fun pulling that entire loom apart looking for that wire, any tricks? I'll change the sensor, because they sent it to me, and also look for the in-line fuse. If that turns out to be the issue(the fuse), I'll leave that fuse out of the loom for future access for sure.. I'll let you all know!
    <"({})><

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not the sensor on the motor! Just my $.02
    This is from Redline41's post #7 "There is also a wire connector located inside the wiring harness that can come unplugged-its in the main large harness under battery box-its down low near lower frame tube-you have to remove wire loom-I believe its the pink wire for the fan."
    I sent a Cooling system trouble shooting guide to your email address for it this morning.

You should have everything you need to get ur done!

Ya I got it, thanks again. I plan on working on it Tomm. My dealer sent me the sensor that goes on the motor, it only has one (black) wire comming from it. He believes this to be the problem. Any ideas on the best was to locate that in-line plug in the loom? I can't imagine it's too much fun pulling that entire loom apart looking for that wire, any tricks? I'll change the sensor, because they sent it to me, and also look for the in-line fuse. If that turns out to be the issue(the fuse), I'll leave that fuse out of the loom for future access for sure.. I'll let you all know!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Bow chicka wow wow .. Had to put that to have enough charcters..
    <"({})><

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, is this schematic for a carbureted bike? Does it matter?? If so, would you have the Fuel Injected one? I see an ECU relay, is that for the fuel injection??
    <"({})><

Respected Member kelleymotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    they never really changed anything as far as prints for the EFI model. ecu would be used for the fuel injection correct.
    Kelley Motorsports LLC 563-920-3412 sales@kelleymotorsports.com
    Sales, Parts, and Service www.kelleymotorsports.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, thanks guys.
    <"({})><

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no fuseable link inside the wire loom- its just a simple butt connector. Its way low in the loom-near where the floor pan meets the frame rail.

Post Thanks / Like
    So are you saying that the wiring diagram above is incorrect? Either way I'm going to look for a loose connection, but where would this fuse able link be then?
    <"({})><

Post Thanks / Like
    I cant read the wiring diagram above but I have had the wiring harness off and apart on a few and never seen any fusable links. If I remember right there is a diode in that general area-

Post Thanks / Like
    So after troubleshooting, here' what I've found:
    I checked for power for the fan coming from the key switch (brown wire/blue stripe) and we've got 12volts.
    I checked the power at the temp switch on the radiator (red wire/black stripe) and no juice??!! Key switch was on for both tests.
    Where ever that 10amp fuse, or fusible link, or what ever it is, where the wire makes that change from brown/blue to red/black is where I believe my issue is. Only problem is it's in the loom! How asinine is that!?
    Now I'm debating spending several hours tearing the loom apart to fix what should be an easy fix, or making several 1.5 hour trips to my dealer to have it covered under warrantee?
    Dealer says they can't come and pick it up without reimbursement from Qlink, what are the odds of that??
    Can't run it cause the fan won't spin?? Snow's coming, what to do!

Wire.JPG
    <"({})><

Post Thanks / Like
    pull the loom apart or build a quick and dirty toggle switch setup to turn the fan on at your leisure. if you can run the fan manually with the switch to get you through the snowy season... then you can bring it to the dealer to get it taken care of.
    Moore Power Sports, LLC
    Malone, NY 12953
    (518) 483-3330
    www.moorepowersports.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Just run a new wire to your sensor yourself! Go from the Ignition relay straight to the sensor. Call it done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do all this while the bike is still under warranty??? What's going to happen if I have some other fluke problem, could a dealer or Qlink hold this "quick fix" against me?? Guess I can't help but worry since she's still under warrantee. Dealer supposed to let me know on Monday if he'll come and get the bike. We'll see
    <"({})><

Post Thanks / Like
    Do all this while the bike is still under warranty??? What's going to happen if I have some other fluke problem, could a dealer or Qlink hold this "quick fix" against me?? Guess I can't help but worry since she's still under warrantee. Dealer supposed to let me know on Monday if he'll come and get the bike. We'll see
    If there is actually a diode in the harness i would probably wire it the way its supposed to be. I'm not really sure what a diode would do in this situation. From what I recall, a diode is like a "one way valve" for electricity. Having the dealer warranty a harness would be the best way to go about it... but I kind of doubt that will be the way it gets fixed.
    Moore Power Sports, LLC
    Malone, NY 12953
    (518) 483-3330
    www.moorepowersports.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Connect the sensor wires together(harness side) with a paper clip at the plug-key switch on. Grab ahold of the main wiring harness that runs down the back of the battery box, along frame and disappears under floor. Move it around and tell me if the fan kicks on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tried your suggestion yesterday, no go w/the fan. Back to the dealer she goes. So far these issues for warrantee work:
    1- replace dash, odometer reset to zero. Lost 3days riding, delivered to dealer myself.
    2- fan not running, appears to be a fuseable link located within the wiring harness. I've been very careful not to let the machine run for extended periods of time as to not heat up. Id love to riding more, but my work schedule hasn't allowed me to take the ride to Malone to drop off bike. Roberts says they may be able to come and pick it up? We'll see.
    3- winch controller crapped out. I think the switch broke, winch wants to continually spool in, guess no more plowing for now.
    <"({})><

Post Thanks / Like
    Off she went back to the dealer yesterday:-( Of course is snowing out now and I'm out my plow. Hopefully Roberts will get the fan issue resolved quickly. At least they were very cool and came down to get the bike while they were in the area, saved me one 1.5 hour drive!
    <"({})><

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats great they were able to pick it up for you!
    Did they give you a time frame of when you would get it back?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not yet, they know me by my first name now so I figured I would give them a couple of days. Try em on Monday. They're probably getting suck of hearing from me
    <"({})><

Post Thanks / Like
    Well if they are it's too bad so sad for them!
    Although I think if they were, you might not have gotten the pickup service! So they must be fine with it.

Not yet, they know me by my first name now so I figured I would give them a couple of days. Try em on Monday. They're probably getting suck of hearing from me

Post Thanks / Like
    Problem fixed! Fuseable link located within the wiring harness (just like you guys said). Thanks to everyone on this site for their help!!! Finally get to ride like hell! Hopefully doesn't happen again, looks like it was a pain to get to!! Thanks to Robert's too, had it fixed in a day.. and they threw in a Warn winch controller cause the one that came w/the machine crapped out.
    <"({})><