UTV Chat talk Forum Board Rhino Clones ODES UTVS HiSun Massimo Motor Bennche Qlink Linhai Supermach USTitan 700cc UTV Cheap 500cc UTV Wholesale
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Walker Evans Racing Performance Shocks for my Dominator.

Post Thanks / Like

New Walker Evans Racing Performance Shocks for my Dominator.

My 2014 SE Dominator 4 seater now has a brand new set of Walker Evans Shocks. After asking Randy Anderson (Co-Owner of Walker Evans Racing) if he would help me with a set of slightly used WE shocks that came off a Polaris last winter, he immediately agreed and after severals months he decided to create an all new performance shock specifically for my Dominator. I'm going out now to mount them now and I hope to have pricing posted soon.

What I do know is that these shocks are US hand made right here in Riverside California, and Randy had them made to the specifications I gave him, so they are slightly longer and each shock has 6'' of travel and that will result in about 11-12" of wheel travel. I will post the spring rates for front and rear and nitrogen pressures in each shock once I have all the specs from WE.

WE5.jpgWE2.jpg
    WE4.jpg
    WE3.jpg
    Last edited by ClassicRacer; 06-16-2015 at 05:08 PM.
    Mike

2014 Dominator 4 SE
    1979 YZ400
    2008 KTM EXC-R 530
    2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
    2006 30' Tahoe Toy Box

2. Likes christo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I can't wait! I have been thinking something like this for mine!

Post Thanks / Like
    What was the price on these?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

These things look so sic and Eibach springs. I can't wait to hear more about the specs, fitment on your Odes, cost, and timeframe to get a set. I have yet to purchase my progressives as I was waiting to hear more on the outcome of WE shocks you sent in. But now this is more exciting to know there might be something in the hopefully near future for a shock and to gain maybe 12 inches of travel without having to change anything else. Take my money Walker Evans. Subscribed for updates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cody at WE told me this, "these shocks will be around $300 a piece and that price includes a top of the line Eibach spring", and when he gets back into the office next week he will provide all the specs. I haven't mounted them yet but I plan to early in the morning, I have had a few other things pop up. More soon......
    Mike

2014 Dominator 4 SE
    1979 YZ400
    2008 KTM EXC-R 530
    2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
    2006 30' Tahoe Toy Box

Post Thanks / Like
    $1200 a set?

Tell Randy that customers are waiting!!!

Tim
    2014 Odes Dominator 4 "The Little Unit"
    Bone Stock (for now)

2002 Ford Excursion. "The Big Unit"
    Not Stock. (<-wink)

2001 Bennington 2575RL Pontoon "Pussy Control"
    2009 Harley-Davidson Street Glide
    2001 Arctic Cat 300
    1990-something Polaris Exploder
    Assorted Dogs and Cats

My Project Page
    http://www.cowracer.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at the shocks. I don't know that it is possible to have that much wheel travel, but I've been wrong before.
    '14 Massimo 800
    '08 Hisun 700 (gone)
    '03 Polaris 500 sportsman

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent Mike, def looking to hear more info on these. At that price they are easily in budget for the quality. Even if we don't get a full 12" (still hopeful) of travel I know they will be worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I finally mounted these Walker Evans Shocks and they fit great. I did loosen the front spring completely and took a mearsurement of the wheel travel and I had to compress the shock with a floor jack and collapsed it all the way to the rubber bumper and measured nearly 11" of wheel travel and everything cleared in the front. The rear shocks should have all of 10" of wheel travel but I don't think anyone will need it this a 4 seater, no one is jumping 4 seater that I know of.

Its a good idea to unbolt both rear shocks because of the sway bar, this allows the slack you'll need for these slightly longer shocks to install. and your going to need to widen the mounts a little bit because the spacers that come with these shocks have nice O-rings (that keeps the dirt out of the eyelets) that need to be compressed to fit, I used the old shock as a wedge, and plied them open.

New Front WE.jpgNew Rear We.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike

2014 Dominator 4 SE
    1979 YZ400
    2008 KTM EXC-R 530
    2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
    2006 30' Tahoe Toy Box

Post Thanks / Like
    From eyelet to eyelet , are these shocks longer than your stock ones?
    '14 Massimo 800
    '08 Hisun 700 (gone)
    '03 Polaris 500 sportsman

Post Thanks / Like
    My original front shocks measured 19.25" rears are 17.5"
    I asked Walker Evans for 20.25" fronts and to bottom out at 14.25 for 6" of shock travel
    And the Rears for 18.5" and bottom out at 13.5"

The angle of these shocks yield 2" of wheel travel for every 1" of shock travel.

I set them up on the soft side right now backing off the spring preload so the car rides at the original hight, so there is about 1.5-2" of wheel travel droop.

My only concern is the front right side, if I ever really bottom out these front shocks the top A-arm will come close to the side of the radiator.

I plan on mounting my GoPro down there and testing this.

At this point these are test shocks only.

I think everyone with a Odes Dominator should take their own measurements and compare them with mine.

I have no idea if Odes had the same size shocks on their cars over the years, so please don't take my word they will work for you.

As you can see these rubber bumpers are large like 1.5'' thick, My front droop is 2", I just measured it.

Here are a few more pics

IMG_2864.jpgIMG_2868.jpgIMG_2870.jpg
    Last edited by ClassicRacer; 06-21-2015 at 06:05 PM.
    Mike

2014 Dominator 4 SE
    1979 YZ400
    2008 KTM EXC-R 530
    2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
    2006 30' Tahoe Toy Box

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice, should make a night and day difference. If they need someone to test out on a 2 door I will be more then happy to help them out lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey TommyH, can you take the time to pull your front right shock and measure the A-arm movement and see if the Shock Mounting points can be separated to 20.25" and collapsed to 13.25". You'll need and helper. I would think the front suspension on the 2 and 4 seaters Dominator should be the same. The right side axel gets close to the frame but it didn't touch or bind for me.
    Mike

2014 Dominator 4 SE
    1979 YZ400
    2008 KTM EXC-R 530
    2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
    2006 30' Tahoe Toy Box

Post Thanks / Like
    If I can find a helper I will be glad to I have to pull off my rear rear to fix the flat anyways before I go ride. If I can't find a helper will the shock need to come off completely or can I just take the top bolt out and measure with it out? I know if I get off completely I wont have any issues with it getting in the way. Guess once it's on the jack stand I could just use the floor jack to raise it up and and down to measure. distances.

I think you are right though that the front should be the same between the 2 and 4 door, I would think only rear might be different if anything would.

Post Thanks / Like
    odes uses the same shocks on the 2 and 4 seater
    2013 MSU-1100

Post Thanks / Like
    I am surprised that the spring rates are not heavier on the 4dr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wyodlr View Post
    odes uses the same shocks on the 2 and 4 seater

Dear God! The 4 seater rides like a logging truck as it is. I cant imagine what the lighter 2 seater feels like...

Tim
    Bone Stock (for now)

Not Stock. (<-wink)

2001 Arctic Cat 300
    Assorted Dogs and Cats

My Project Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
    Dear God! The 4 seater rides like a logging truck as it is. I cant imagine what the lighter 2 seater feels like...

Tim
    Ya man the 2 seater is not a plush ride at speeds on a trail. I have found its not bad over small rocks and roots and better if your moving fast, horrible as you slow down. Catch air and your back will pay for it in my experience lol. Trails I have rode sometimes you can't get enough speed to air the whole unit so the front end comes down first and man its a rough landing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any word on these shock? This was kind of a hot topic for a while and then nothing...

I found this place that advertises shocks for the Odes.

http://www.banditutvsuspension.com/Products.html Looks like a good deal at $1099.99. Anyone have any experience with these guys?

If the Walker Evans shocks don't come to something soon, I might give them a try...

Tim
    Bone Stock (for now)

Not Stock. (<-wink)

2001 Arctic Cat 300
    Assorted Dogs and Cats

My Project Page

Post Thanks / Like
    When I purchased my Dominator it somehow came with a Red Sticker and here in CA that means you can't operate your vehicle/bike during the summer months because of emissions. I know others here have Green Stickers and I called DMV and out of the blue I received a new title and new registration with a Green Sticker so now I can actually take it out and test it, thats what WE was waiting for, they wanted to know that the measurements and valving worked. Sorry it is my fault they aren't ready yet. My club has a race this next weekend and I'l take it out then and report back. I think these shocks are worth the wait.
    Mike

2014 Dominator 4 SE
    1979 YZ400
    2008 KTM EXC-R 530
    2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
    2006 30' Tahoe Toy Box

Post Thanks / Like
    oh man, that sux Mike. Glad to hear you got it straightenend out and can ride in the summer now. Looking forward to the review and more info. Do you plan on racing yourself? I thought about doing a woods race here on the east coast but wanted a better suspension before I do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will never race this Dominator, I'm in a dirt bike club and we promote a few different races every year and this weekend we are running a Moto Cross event at a State OHV Park. More on Monday.....
    Mike

2014 Dominator 4 SE
    1979 YZ400
    2008 KTM EXC-R 530
    2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
    2006 30' Tahoe Toy Box

Post Thanks / Like
    These Walker Evans Racing shocks are a must have, I finally had the opportunity to try them out on Saturday.
    I didn't have enough time to use my GoPro but I drove very aggressively on two runs threw very whooped out rutted trails trying to punish them and never bottomed out. My top speed in these trails was only about 40MPH and I'm very satisfied with the new ride, it really is a night and day difference. After the second hard run I felt all 4 shocks with my hand and they all were fairly warm. The bump stops were near the top of the shock so I think I had used most of the wheel travel a few time and the ride was excellent, complete control at all times. These new General tires were great too, I ran them at 15PSI and I want to try them at 12-13PSI to see it the ride gets even better.

The reason I didn't get more time to ride was that a broke a fuel line right at the rear cylinder injector and almost had a fire inside the motor cover. Somehow the metal shielding spring around the fuel line was not under the throttle body where it bends to 90 degrees and as the rubber hose from the throttle body to the plastic intake manifold sags it wore a hole in the fuel line. This is on me because I re-routed the air intake and it added a little bit more weight. I did add a foam support but it wasn't enough. I'm going to re-route the air filter into the cab and out the back of the engine cover now that it is apart. It will only have one 90 degree turn this way and give maximum air flow.Fuel Line break.jpg
    Mike

2014 Dominator 4 SE
    1979 YZ400
    2008 KTM EXC-R 530
    2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
    2006 30' Tahoe Toy Box

Post Thanks / Like
    That's great to hear about the shocks not so much about the fuel line. Now just to wait till they start to produce them for us.

Post Thanks / Like
    I emailed Cody at Walker Evans Racing and he is working on it now. I hope he get back to me soon.
    Mike

2014 Dominator 4 SE
    1979 YZ400
    2008 KTM EXC-R 530
    2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
    2006 30' Tahoe Toy Box

Post Thanks / Like
    I took the wife and kids on vacation to Colorado and we rented a CanAm 1000 up in the mountains for a 4 hour self guided ride. Of course we had the gray key in the ignition instead of the black key so didn't have the balls that it should have had. What I did notice along with the wife and kids was the smooth ride over all the rocks and wash outs. I was purposely hitting the big rocks on the trail and you could hardly notice any jarring. My 2014 Odes Dominator 4-door shocks don't even compare to those. I wouldn't go so far as to even call them shocks on the Odes. I can't wait to get my hands on a full set of shocks that I can remove the old one and install the new one without doing a bunch of mods or paying $1000. It will be an entirely different machine when that happens.
    2016 Polaris Ranger 900 Crew
    2014 Dominator 4-Door-Sold
    2014 Massey Ferguson 1736
    1982 Yamaha YT 125 3-wheeler

28. Likes ClassicRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just emailed Walker Evans again asking whats up.
    Last edited by ClassicRacer; 08-12-2015 at 11:44 PM.
    Mike

2014 Dominator 4 SE
    1979 YZ400
    2008 KTM EXC-R 530
    2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
    2006 30' Tahoe Toy Box

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey classicracer any news from walker evans yet i wouldnt mind a set of these for mine as well

Post Thanks / Like
    I just sent another email asking when they will be introducing these shocks.
    Mike

2014 Dominator 4 SE
    1979 YZ400
    2008 KTM EXC-R 530
    2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
    2006 30' Tahoe Toy Box

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok Walker Evens is ready to build your shocks boys, here is the response back from Cody.
    They can give me a call at 951.784.7223 or email me at cody@walkerevansent.com. We have two options for them to ask for: ODES 800 bolt-on replacement upgrade or ODES 800 bolt-on long travel upgrade (the ones that you have).
    Mike

2014 Dominator 4 SE
    1979 YZ400
    2008 KTM EXC-R 530
    2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
    2006 30' Tahoe Toy Box

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRacer View Post
    Your oil filter location is scary. Might want to consider a clamp on guard like this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-RESERVE-C...-/161737304003

450&660 SE, Hunterworks Sheave,+2.2mm Shim mod, C12 belt, 28mm 17g weights, yellow spring, 9g clutch mod, Dynatek, Alba exhaust, XF2 Water-less Coolant, 27"GBCs, Bilstein/5.8Eibachs, Beard/PRP seats, HID, Allfab Doors, Seizmik Mirrors, FU2 cage. Quality is never an accident, it is always the result of intelligent effort.
    2012 Husqvarna 511

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok Walker Evens is ready to build your shocks boys, here is the response back from Cody.
    They can give me a call at 951.784.7223 or email me at cody@walkerevansent.com. We have two options for them to ask for: ODES 800 bolt-on replacement upgrade or ODES 800 bolt-on long travel upgrade (the ones that you have).

I sent Cody an email. I'm sitting on the fence on standard or long travel. Any drawbacks to the long travel that you can see so far?

Tim
    Bone Stock (for now)

Not Stock. (<-wink)

2001 Arctic Cat 300
    Assorted Dogs and Cats

My Project Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell him you want the Mike Palmer version, Go with the ones I have, they did a takeoff and the guy that did it wasn't involved with what I had wanted, The first set was made as exact duplicates of the stock shocks and I can't remember but either the front or rear had even less shock travel than the stock shock by an inch,
    IMG_2757.jpg
    and thats why they made them with my specs over again.They remade them slightly longer by an inch and have 2.5" - 3" more of shock travel. You can always back off the spring pre-load like I did if you want a plush ride, or tighten the spring for a bit more ground clearance.
    No drawback for me, I was a little concerned about the front right upper A-arm hitting the radiator, but it doesn't.

Last edited by ClassicRacer; 09-03-2015 at 01:51 PM.
    Mike

2014 Dominator 4 SE
    1979 YZ400
    2008 KTM EXC-R 530
    2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
    2006 30' Tahoe Toy Box

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell him you want the Mike Palmer version, Go with the ones I have, they did a takeoff and the guy that did it wasn't involved with what I had wanted, The first set was made as exact duplicates of the stock shocks and I can't remember but either the front or rear had even less shock travel than the stock shock by an inch,
    IMG_2757.jpg
    and thats why they made them with my specs over again.They remade them slightly longer by an inch and have 2.5" - 3" more of shock travel. You can always back off the spring pre-load like I did if you want a plush ride, or tighten the spring for a bit more ground clearance.
    No drawback for me, I was a little concerned about the front right upper A-arm hitting the radiator, but it doesn't.

Hey Mike, do you know if the price point is still at the $300 per corner mark for the long travel? I have saved up waiting for these guys for mine. And well damn it's my bday month time to spend some money haha. Will have to call him in a few days to find out how long to build and total price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same price is what they told me, I think they are $329 each, but hey if more folks want to make a buy together they might lower the price. You are the second person that has spoke up here wanting them, you and CowRacer, ANYONE ELSE???????
    Last edited by ClassicRacer; 09-04-2015 at 09:06 AM.
    Mike

2014 Dominator 4 SE
    1979 YZ400
    2008 KTM EXC-R 530
    2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
    2006 30' Tahoe Toy Box

Post Thanks / Like
    So is there mounting bracket modifications required for both or just the long travel version?
    2016 Polaris Ranger 900 Crew
    2014 Dominator 4-Door-Sold
    2014 Massey Ferguson 1736
    1982 Yamaha YT 125 3-wheeler

Post Thanks / Like
    No, these shocks either come in exact stock lengths or they are 1" longer with more shock travel than stock. They will come with spacers to fit the stock mounts
    Mike

2014 Dominator 4 SE
    1979 YZ400
    2008 KTM EXC-R 530
    2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
    2006 30' Tahoe Toy Box

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be interested in a group buy if we can get a discount on them for a larger order. Guess we need to talk with Cody and see how many would need to order to make it worth wild for getting a discount.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be interested in a set to if there is a group buy

Post Thanks / Like
    Well that makes 2 maybe 3 if Tim hasn't made his purchase yet. If anyone else wants to maybe get on we can call or email Cody on Tuesday to see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well unless the group buys 24 sets this isn't going to happen, Sorry guys....
    Mike

2014 Dominator 4 SE
    1979 YZ400
    2008 KTM EXC-R 530
    2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
    2006 30' Tahoe Toy Box

Post Thanks / Like
    How much a set thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe they are $329 each
    Mike

2014 Dominator 4 SE
    1979 YZ400
    2008 KTM EXC-R 530
    2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
    2006 30' Tahoe Toy Box

Post Thanks / Like
    I am definitely interested in the long travel WE shocks. Love my 15 Dominator but she rides like a lumber wagon.

Post Thanks / Like
    You ever get these shocks? Long travel? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Glory Kickboxing

This post requires you to click the Thanks button to read this content. This post requires you to click the Likes button to read this content. This post requires you to click the Dislikes button to read this content.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • This post requires you to click the Thanks button to see Attachments.
    • This post requires you to click the Likes button to see Attachments.
    • This post requires you to click the Dislikes button to see Attachments.

Post Thanks / Like

Captain America the Winter Soldier 2014 TS XviD MP3 MiLLENiUM

This post requires you to click the Thanks button to read this content. This post requires you to click the Likes button to read this content. This post requires you to click the Dislikes button to read this content.

Post Thanks / Like

продать ягоды

Августавгуст грибы опт

Post Thanks / Like

продать грибы

Августавгуст грибы опт

Post Thanks / Like

купить грибы &

Августавгуст грибы опт