UTV Chat talk Forum Board Rhino Clones ODES UTVS HiSun Massimo Motor Bennche Qlink Linhai Supermach USTitan 700cc UTV Cheap 500cc UTV Wholesale

Thread: Massimo alligator rev limiter

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Massimo alligator rev limiter

Hey guys i got a 2014 massimo alligator 500, fun ride...no power. Does anybody know of a way to bypass or turn up the rev limiter. I feel like u outta b able to turn it harder than 5500rpm

2. Thanks halifax14 thanked for this post
    Likes halifax14 liked this post
    Dislikes Jac800 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 500 makes more torque down low. I don't know that you would want to get more than that out of it. Could look into some clutch work.
    '14 Massimo 800
    '08 Hisun 700 (gone)
    '03 Polaris 500 sportsman

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4getful2 View Post
    The 500 makes more torque down low. I don't know that you would want to get more than that out of it. Could look into some clutch work.
    Thanks, ive alrdy done a intake and exhaust tip also installed purple secondary clutch spring and shims but it seems to have a bad hesitation like a bog at low rpm then really picks up as rpm build. I was thinkin bump up rev limiter because it seems to start pullin really hard right before it hits 5500 but when it gets there its like u hit a brick wall and it aint goin no farther

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of clutch upgrades have yall done to these machines? Greaseless rollers etc. what works best for yall

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyman View Post
    Thanks, ive alrdy done a intake and exhaust tip also installed purple secondary clutch spring and shims but it seems to have a bad hesitation like a bog at low rpm then really picks up as rpm build. I was thinkin bump up rev limiter because it seems to start pullin really hard right before it hits 5500 but when it gets there its like u hit a brick wall and it aint goin no farther
    You can remove the rev limiter with a powercommander and possibly tune out a few hp to your engine as well. I machine clutches and I manufacture my own grease-less weights. I am pretty sure your purple spring is way too heavy for your driven clutch. The only time you increase the spring weight is if you are really slipping the belt. Otherwise, the more pressure you place on your belt, the less efficient the CVT becomes, requiring you to put more horsepower to it. I suggest you use your oem spring and add lightened grease-less weights until you achieve the desired engine rpm you wish to have. Clutch shims work great at providing additional low end. Do you happen to have any pictures of your primary and driven cvt?
    450&660 SE, Hunterworks Sheave,+2.2mm Shim mod, C12 belt, 28mm 17g weights, yellow spring, 9g clutch mod, Dynatek, Alba exhaust, XF2 Water-less Coolant, 27"GBCs, Bilstein/5.8Eibachs, Beard/PRP seats, HID, Allfab Doors, Seizmik Mirrors, FU2 cage. Quality is never an accident, it is always the result of intelligent effort.
    2012 Husqvarna 511

7. Thanks Harleyman thanked for this post
    Likes Harleyman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for tha info tinken i didnt take any pictures while i had it all apart. Ill b glad to put tha oem spring back on do you have any suggestions on what size weights as a starting point? Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for tha info tinken i didnt take any pictures while i had it all apart. Ill b glad to put tha oem spring back on do you have any suggestions on what size weights as a starting point? Thanks again
    Do you know what your rollers weight now? You can use a postal or harbor freight scale and measure in grams.
    450&660 SE, Hunterworks Sheave,+2.2mm Shim mod, C12 belt, 28mm 17g weights, yellow spring, 9g clutch mod, Dynatek, Alba exhaust, XF2 Water-less Coolant, 27"GBCs, Bilstein/5.8Eibachs, Beard/PRP seats, HID, Allfab Doors, Seizmik Mirrors, FU2 cage. Quality is never an accident, it is always the result of intelligent effort.
    2012 Husqvarna 511

Post Thanks / Like
    The stock weights should be 18 gram.
    Since you've done an intake and exhaust mod. Are you still running the stock diameter tires?
    If you really want some help, you need to give all the details on any upgrades you've done to your machine.
    Usually you can keep the stock weights and just install a orange spring will liven it up.
    '14 Massimo 800
    '08 Hisun 700 (gone)
    '03 Polaris 500 sportsman

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinken View Post
    Do you know what your rollers weight now? You can use a postal or harbor freight scale and measure in grams.
    I'm not sure what they are now I would have to take it back apart weigh them

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4getful2 View Post
    The stock weights should be 18 gram.
    Since you've done an intake and exhaust mod. Are you still running the stock diameter tires?
    If you really want some help, you need to give all the details on any upgrades you've done to your machine.
    Usually you can keep the stock weights and just install a orange spring will liven it up.
    Yes it still has the factory wheels and tires I have done a intake elbow with K&N filter, removed factory baffling and exhaust tip and installed open exhaust tip. Also installed purple clutch spring and 2mm shims so for that's all I have done

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, I wouldn't run any heavier than an EPI orange spring. You determine your spring weight based on the amount of horsepower you have, not on your tire size like the vendors would like you to believe. You can try 16 or 14 gram weights first before going lower.

I have 27" tires and an orange spring is actually too heavy for me. I now have an blue spring (oem) and an air-cooled secondary I built to replace my orange. I will compliment my oem spring with some much lighter rollers. A friend of mine uses 8 gram weights which is about as low as you can go.
    2012 Husqvarna 511

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the info ill grab some rollers and swap the springs back out this Utv stuff is new to me I'm a diesel mechanic that pretty much spent my whole life on two wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a update for anyone needing the info i swapped my purple spring for a blue one and installed 12 gram greaseless sliders. I also left the 2mm shims in place. It has alot more pull out if the hole but still not much midrange power. Before clutch work it ran 45 mph and turned 5k rpm with the new parts it ran 53mph and turns up to 6.4k rpm

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a update for anyone needing the info i swapped my purple spring for a blue one and installed 12 gram greaseless sliders. I also left the 2mm shims in place. It has alot more pull out if the hole but still not much midrange power. Before clutch work it ran 45 mph and turned 5k rpm with the new parts it ran 53mph and turns up to 6.4k rpm
    Harleyman - that sounds great. I use my 500 for some light trail riding but mostly for Ice Fishing. I feel like running thru some slush and snow it lacks power. So I was considering some ways to improve the performance. I found this post. I don't run crazy but just feel it needs a little more getup and go.

I am mechanically inclined but not necessarily with UTV's.

I have the service/shop guide for my Massimo. But I wanted to do the mods you mention. I guess I am not sure where to start. I have done ZERO modifications. I've had it now for 3 years.

What springs did you replace? Do you know who I can order these springs from? How about the 12 gram greaseless sliders? How about these 2mm shims?

Did you modify the Rev Limit too?

I realize this is an old thread but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.