UTV Chat talk Forum Board Rhino Clones ODES UTVS HiSun Massimo Motor Bennche Qlink Linhai Supermach USTitan 700cc UTV Cheap 500cc UTV Wholesale

Thread: Odes Instruments Install Pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Odes Instruments Install Pictures

This is for anyone foolish (anal) enough to want to install Coolant temp. Voltmeter and Oil pressure gauges in their Odes SxS. I am sure that this will work on any other brand SxS as well. I spent around $100 total for everything (mostly from Amazon). Thanks Mike (ClassicRacer) for giving me the inspiration to do this.
    If you own an Odes then you know that they are undercooled for extreme conditions AND the batteries are slightly undersized, so, the temp. and voltmeter should be vey helpful in preventing overheating and/or dead batteries.
    Robert20160111_175110.jpg20151226_104610.jpg20151226_104628.jpg20151226_104715.jpg20151226_114518.jpg

2. Likes Danne, albatross3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

4. Likes albatross3, Gfmoto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Raider can you add the fitting sizes

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazon sells an assortment of metric to NPT brass fittings (Equus #9848 $10) In that assortment, the M12x1.5 to 1/8'npt fitting adapts the temp. sensor to the front head. I removed the low oil pressure switch and taped up the connector. I used the M10x1.25 to 1/8'npt adaptor and a 1/8'npt brass street L (Lowes $4) to mount the oil pressure sender where the oil pressure switch was. I relocated the ign. coils to the rt. side engine brace to get enough room for the oil pressure sending unit. This was a pretty easy project once I decided what I wanted to do. ClassicRacer did this same project, but, he used a better gauge set and, he was able to remotely locate his oil pressure sender.
    Robert
    Quote Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
    Raider can you add the fitting sizes

7. Likes 4x4hans liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome raider!!! Great work!!!
    Love seeing people add things to their rides and make it look factory installed. Drives me nuts when I see the ones with wires hanging , some tape or zips , half a$$ed tied on.. Lol. Anyway nice job.
    CFMoto ZForce 800 EX

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. Yes, I am a firm believer in "if it is worth doing, it's worth doing right". Owning an Odes (and most clones)requires that you take an active role (hands on) in keeping it going or spend a lot of money having someone else do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfmoto View Post
    Looks awesome raider!!! Great work!!!
    Love seeing people add things to their rides and make it look factory installed. Drives me nuts when I see the ones with wires hanging , some tape or zips , half a$$ed tied on.. Lol. Anyway nice job.

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks awesome. Just ordered a temperature gauge (like yours) for my supermach 700. Now I am considering on ordering the other two and mounting them (if they will fit) in the spot where you have your radio. What kind of oil pressure are you seeing at idle and max?

Where are you getting your volt reading from. Could tap into one of the wires coming from my stator that runs to the voltage reg???

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Oil pressure on the Odes 800 runs from 25 to 55 psi cold and 25 to 45 psi @ normal operating temp. (160deg/f) w/10w/40 motor oil. These electronic pressure gauges are not very accurate from 0 to 20 psi.
    The best place to read the battery voltage is at the battery itself (obviously), but, you want the voltmeter off except when the engine is running. So.. I tied into the running light circuit. My running lights only come on when the ign. switch is in the "run' position (same with the other gauges). The run light circuit is already protected with a fuse AND the 3 new gauges only draw about .5amps additional amps on that circuit. If you look at my attached schematic diagram (I know that it is hard to read), you will see that I simply powered the voltmeter at the same point that I powered the other 2 gauges.
    I compared the voltage (with a high precision 4.5 digit voltmeter) at the battery and the run light circuit (where I powered the gauges) and there is about .1v to.2v drop. This means that the volt gauge is actually reading slightly less than the actual voltage at the battery. That is an acceptable.
    Hope this helps,
    Robert

12. Thanks albatross3 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Installed my digital temp gauge today. Looks really cool, but fluctuates wildly with changes in battery voltage or engine rpm???. With engine hot, It will go from lets say 170 to 190 in a matter of a couple of seconds then when deaccelerating it will spike at 250 for a second then go back to 180. With engine off connected red wire directly to battery and turned on my led light bar. The temp went from 170 to 250. What is the deal. With green wire disconnected I am getting 5 volts at the green wire going to the sending unit. Is that normal?

gauge.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I figured out the temperature variation.
    I ran the ground wire directly from the gauge to the sender and had no problems. I am assuming I have a poor ground between the engine and the frame. Going to pick up a ground strap which should take care of the problem.

The original reason I bought this gauge was because my temp light would go on and off all of the time even with a cold engine. So if anyone out there has this problem you probably also have a bad ground.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great installation raiderdad!
    I just realised myself that my temp warning light doesnt seems to work.
    It should light up when turning the ignition on but it dont. Since heat seems to be a issue with these machines i rather install a temp gauge instead.
    I just cant figure out where to put the sensor. My engine, Hisun 800 2010, looks a bit different. Is there already a sensor that i can replace or is it included it the ems system?

Post Thanks / Like
    Danne, I do not have any experience with the Hisun machines, but, I am sure that the OE temp. sensor is located in the top of the front or rear cyl. head. (someone with Hisun experience chime in here to confirm this). You should be able to install the new temp. sensor that comes with the temp. gauge in the other cyl. head. If you use the Dragon gauge temp. gauge (Amazon), you will need the adapter fittings from metric to NPT. The fitting assortment is also available on Amazon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danne View Post
    Great installation raiderdad!
    I just realised myself that my temp warning light doesnt seems to work.
    It should light up when turning the ignition on but it dont. Since heat seems to be a issue with these machines i rather install a temp gauge instead.
    I just cant figure out where to put the sensor. My engine, Hisun 800 2010, looks a bit different. Is there already a sensor that i can replace or is it included it the ems system?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for reply! I have a sensor placed in the middle of the Y coolant connector. I just wanna make sure i put it on the outflow part so I get the most accurate temp Reading.
    Is the old sensor connected to the ecu in some way or is it just a simple sensor that make the warning light go on?

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a place at the cylinder head as you suggested raider.
    Gauges and sensor is purchased but I couldnt find a adapter for the 1/8" so I had to order that and waiting for delivery.
    I will copy your install right off and go on the light cable as well.
    Thanks for inspiration and guidance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very Nice!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The 2 round gold things one goes in the block thanks