UTV Chat talk Forum Board Rhino Clones ODES UTVS HiSun Massimo Motor Bennche Qlink Linhai Supermach USTitan 700cc UTV Cheap 500cc UTV Wholesale

Thread: Too much wattage??

Post Thanks / Like

Too much wattage??

I just got a Massimo 500 from TSC. I wanted to hard wire a light bar on the roof with its own switch. I saw the 12 volt outlet rated at 120 watts maximum and because of this I thought a 120 watt light bar, or 2 60 watt cube lights might be the strongest I should use. I see some bars up to 300 watts, and I see pictures of other utvs with multiple lights, but I figure this would be too much power draw for a MSU 500..If I had a larger utv I might not ask, but is there a maximum wattage light before the little 500 engine can't supply enough electricity efficiently? Has anybody installed extra lighting on a MSU 500 or have an opinion on what would be too much wattage? Do led lights draw so little power I am worried about nothing? Thanks Greg
    Last edited by chillwill; 01-20-2016 at 12:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg, I'm not sure that I understand your question either. Are you wanting to power the light bar thru the 12dc outlet on the dash? If you are, then, yes, you can do that, but you will be drawing the max amps (10a) from that circuit. You would be better off powering the light directly from the battery, thru a off/on switch mounted on your dash. Use 12awg (min) wire and a fuse (10a) at the battery to protect the circuit.
    Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with raider. I have a Cfmoto 800 and I am running 2-4" LED spot lights(18W) and a 32" LED light bar(180W) it has built in LED running light around headlights(see my pics) and I run my high beams on dark trails.
    Size of the engine shouldn't really matter it's the generator/alternator that is creating you power.
    So to help answer. "Hard wire" your lights (power wire from battery to switch to lights) and you should be fine. If you want a "plug n play" (wire up power wire & a ground wire to a cigarette lighter 12V plug) Then stick to your rating of 120W from the plug.

Short answer yes both can be done, yes LEDs use way less power than conventional lights, yes you should be fine keeping it under 120W (plug in) yes you should "hard wire" lighting in.
    CFMoto ZForce 800 EX

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed a 12" slim 50 watt bar on the roof. It is low and doesn't stick up in the way. It was amazing how bright of beam it throws. The stock headlights look like weak yellow flashlights compared to the Led lights. So amazing I had to install a 13" 60 watt slim bar on the front bumper, and a 5" 18 watt for backup lights, all on their own fused switch. With the 2 forward light bars at 110 watts there is more light than I would need to drive. The light up higher seems more effective even though it is smaller, but I would loose it when I take the roof off. A 40" 230 watt light bar must be really bright. My Massimo 500 idles fine with all 3 lights on at 128 watts. I am looking for reasons to go out and ride it at night now ...Greg P.S. purchased from Amazon...Can't get over how a 40" bar can be $109. for a Chinese bar or $1029. for an American made bar.

5. Likes SIrSpendsalot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chillwill View Post
    I installed a 12" slim 50 watt bar on the roof. It is low and doesn't stick up in the way. It was amazing how bright of beam it throws. The stock headlights look like weak yellow flashlights compared to the Led lights. So amazing I had to install a 13" 60 watt slim bar on the front bumper, and a 5" 18 watt for backup lights, all on their own fused switch. With the 2 forward light bars at 110 watts there is more light than I would need to drive. The light up higher seems more effective even though it is smaller, but I would loose it when I take the roof off. A 40" 230 watt light bar must be really bright. My Massimo 500 idles fine with all 3 lights on at 128 watts. I am looking for reasons to go out and ride it at night now ...Greg P.S. purchased from Amazon...Can't get over how a 40" bar can be $109. for a Chinese bar or $1029. for an American made bar.
    So, it has been almost a year. Anything new to add from this experience? I was thinking of adding a 240W 42" bar to my Cub Cadet Challenger 500. I don't see any information as to how much is too much.

Thanks in advance.