UTV Chat talk Forum Board Rhino Clones ODES UTVS HiSun Massimo Motor Bennche Qlink Linhai Supermach USTitan 700cc UTV Cheap 500cc UTV Wholesale

Thread: Oil leak from gearbox? Help needed please

Post Thanks / Like

Oil leak from gearbox? Help needed please

Hello!
    I saw today a fairly big oil stain below the engine. Seems like it has been coming from the gearbox i think?
    The bolt with a red circle around has had a large oildrip hanging from it and when i reached in with my hand i couldnt feel any obvious oilleak around it.
    I wiped it with paper and will check again later. i tried to reach in with a wrench and the nut seems to be fairly hard tightened.
    Is it possible that the oil can leak from that place? Any suggestions?oljeläckage.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    That might be the drain bolt. It may have a gasket that is leaking.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a nut and bolt that holds the engine to to gear box. There are four of them. You have to take off the skid plate to tighten the bottom two. There is a gasket where they join. It will be engine oil coming from it.
    Brian

2011 Super Mach 800
    2008 F350
    2006 Salem 5th Wheel Toy hauler
    2006 Suzuki M50

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, thanks!
    I guess i should start with the skidplate and dry the whole thing and make sure where its coming from to 100%.
    Downloaded a service manual for it but i cant find the description of how the gearbox is connected with the Engine with the gaskets and so on.
    I saw that the gearbox is splitting in several layers starting with the cover thats seen in the pic but it doesnt show any gasket there???
    gearbox.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at the engine break down the studs come from there.
    Brian

2011 Super Mach 800
    2008 F350
    2006 Suzuki M50

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry but english isnt my native language. Whats studs? And what do you mean by engine breakdown? Do you mean where the engine splits when take it apart?
    Thanks!
    Ps. I took the skid plate off yesterday and wiped the bottom of engine. Just got home from work but are soon about to go out to the garage and see if i can locate the leak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry. The break down is the diagram of the engine parts. It will show you where the bolts are sticking out and go into the gear box and the nut goes on (that is what your picture shows).
    Brian

2011 Super Mach 800
    2008 F350
    2006 Suzuki M50

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like the leak is somewhere between the engine and gearbox at the output shaft. Its impossible to say if its from engine side or gearbox but my money is on the engine side. I guess its one of thoose oil seals that are mounted on the shaft. Does anybody know if i need to take the whole engine out to remove the shaft? I hope its possible to do without doing that...

Post Thanks / Like

gear box attachment to engine

Quote Originally Posted by Danne View Post
    It seems like the leak is somewhere between the engine and gearbox at the output shaft. Its impossible to say if its from engine side or gearbox but my money is on the engine side. I guess its one of thoose oil seals that are mounted on the shaft. Does anybody know if i need to take the whole engine out to remove the shaft? I hope its possible to do without doing that...
    Dont know if you found tge leak or not but thought I would chime in for what its worth. You may not want to hear this but on mine the studs literally striped out the engine block causing seperation thus leading to excessive leakage from gearbox. Also because I continued to drive it the drive assembly that connects to the ehgine ended up snapping the dowel. By the way there is only 3 studs. Not good but I did retap the threads with3/8 diameter studs and some backyard epoxy. Seems to be holding but will need to continuously monitor. Must of been to much torque. I have the heavy duty clutch kit and a few mods and run pretty hard.
    Last edited by christo; 03-14-2016 at 07:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and thanks for sharing!
    Since it started leaking after i overfilled (i guess) the oil in a cold engine i still think its the oilseal on the shaft that have been pushed out by the oil pressure. I have been looking at it from below and if the gearbox and engine would have separeted i should have seen that hopefully. I have looked closely to the connection between gearbox and engine to see if theres any possibility to get a thin blade in the and maybe push the oilseal back in but its tighter than a frogs ass for sure! I havent really done anything else so far due to too much working. But I need to get my hands on it soon if i want it ready for summer...

Post Thanks / Like
    Canít start. No turnover. Just dead. Not
    Battery issue.