UTV Chat talk Forum Board Rhino Clones ODES UTVS HiSun Massimo Motor Bennche Qlink Linhai Supermach USTitan 700cc UTV Cheap 500cc UTV Wholesale

Thread: Word of Caution about Digital Gauges

Post Thanks / Like

Word of Caution about Digital Gauges

Just an up-date on my experience with Dragon digital gauges (oil, temp, volt). I bought these from Amazon because they were cheap and they looked good. The volt and oil pressure have been good so far. The coolant temp. has been a problem. It worked just fine for about a month, then, I noticed it started sticking at 104, then jumping to 120 and staying there. I checked the actual engine temp. to confirm that it was not something strange going on with the engine. The engine temp. was rising gradually just like you would expect it to. I suspect that the sensor is going bad. I contacted Amazon and they, in turn contacted the seller (Elenker). They are sending me a new sensor. I was very pleased with the way Amazon and Elenker handled my problem. After reading the reviews on these gauges, there have been a number of problems with these gauge sensors. I wish there was/is a different temp sensor that could be used with the gauge.
    FYI,
    Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    There's so much bouncin' around, I'm surprised that the gauges haven't shaken apart.
    '14 Massimo 800
    '08 Hisun 700 (gone)
    '03 Polaris 500 sportsman

Post Thanks / Like
    There are no mechanical components in the digital gauges. They are potted electronic components. The gauges themselves seem to hold up just fine. It's the sensors that fail. I am a little suprised at this. Temp. sensors are nothing more than encased carbon pile variable resistors. Sure, they will fail eventually after many years of use, but, failing after 2 hours of use is a little early.
    They are sending me a new one. I will report back how well it does.
    Robert

4. Likes 4getful2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderdad View Post
    Just an up-date on my experience with Dragon digital gauges (oil, temp, volt). I bought these from Amazon because they were cheap and they looked good. The volt and oil pressure have been good so far. The coolant temp. has been a problem. It worked just fine for about a month, then, I noticed it started sticking at 104, then jumping to 120 and staying there. I checked the actual engine temp. to confirm that it was not something strange going on with the engine. The engine temp. was rising gradually just like you would expect it to. I suspect that the sensor is going bad. I contacted Amazon and they, in turn contacted the seller (Elenker). They are sending me a new sensor. I was very pleased with the way Amazon and Elenker handled my problem. After reading the reviews on these gauges, there have been a number of problems with these gauge sensors. I wish there was/is a different temp sensor that could be used with the gauge.
    FYI,
    Robert
    I had the same gauges and they worked great! That is till I rode through 3 and a half ft of water lol killed em

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, submerging the gauges in dirty water is probably asking a little much from them. After replacing the sensor, the (temp) gauge has done fine. I just got a bad sensor with my gauge, and it failed. The gauges themselves are not waterproof or even water resistant, so, putting them in a SXS that is used off-road could be an issue. Mine is not used off-road, so I suspect my gauges should be OK. I do not have any problem recommending these (Dragon)gauges to anyone. I put AutoMeter in my truck (EGT, Turboboost pressure & Oil temp). They are definetly better quality, but for 4X the cost of the Dragons, they better be.
    Robert